Sunday, May 25, 2008

Resting in God vs. Resting in the World

This morning I taught the Junior High and High School from Matthew 11:25-30 and we talked about finding our "rest" in Jesus instead of running to entertainment. Wow... what a huge issue even in my own life! My own tendency is to run to the computer and spend all my down-time on practically useless stuff... well, it's easy to convince yourself that it's useful to some degree but it hardly ever benefits me and my relationship with the Lord... and it usually doesn't benefit my family, my friends... than why am I doing it? Because it's fun. Because I can turn off my brain. Because I can let loose and just "forget" about all my worries and just laugh at the jokes and bask in the wonderful technology and brilliance in movies/computers/whatever. 

I see this tendency in myself and I see it all around me... Oh if only we as Christians could take hold of the promise "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." "Take my yoke upon you... and you will find rest for your souls." 

Lord, help us to find our rest in you! May we not run to the world when we let our guards down and "relax" and "recuperate"! May we rest in your Word; the sweet and precious promises that we find in your Word(2 Peter 1:4)! May we rest in prayer knowing that you give peace that surpasses all human understanding(Philippians 4:6-7)!

1 comment:

Tara said...

Sweetie! I love you, I love how you word things jsut perfectly.

I thank God for you every day:)