Saturday, May 06, 2006

Wealth and Money

As an American, I know that my thoughts on this subject can become quite culturally tainted (and I hope I can avoid those mistakes) ! Here are some principles that I think need to be considered:
  • Am I letting my pursuit of money (wealth, possessions, stuff) become more important than my relationships with... God, my wife, my family, friends, people in general? (Mark 10:20)
  • Am I content with what I have even if all I have is necessities? (1 Timothy 6:6)
  • Do I spend based on necessity or desire? This question must also ask if "desire" is the answer, is my desire a good one, or is it selfish or prideful?
  • Am I giving back to God?
With another perspective:
  • Am I putting regulations on myself that are helpful, or are they unnecessary?
  • Am I being too frugal to the point of being selfish or obsessive?
  • How can I glorify God with my money and possessions?
Being rich is one thing, but being rich in good deeds is another! May we use the gifts God has given to us for good and not for evil!

1 comment:

Matthew g Prior said...

Good thoughts. You've got me thinking now. I hope you are doing well. We need to pick a Sunday afternoon to get together!