Saturday, October 06, 2007

Hello, I'm Teaching Tomorrow...

It is such a humbling reality to teach the Word of God! When all is said and done, my only hope is that God was honored by my faithfulness to the text of the Bible and that the Holy Spirit worked in the hearts of those who heard the message. I am merely a vessel. A servant. Praise God! To Him be all the credit and praise and recognition and fame and "thank you"s and "how true"s and "that impacted me"s!

What is even more humbling is seeing God use an imperfect servant who still battles with his sinful nature: namely, me. Yes, me. I agree with Paul when he says time and again that he is the "chief of all sinners." Sometimes I feel that way. Oh God, thank you for using broken and sinful and imperfect people such as myself to do Your will! You truly are great and deserving of all praise when Your will is accomplished and we are obedient: You are the one who is moving and directing and changing the hearts of your people!

Tomorrow, I am teaching our awesome Junior High group. I look to the words in Jeremiah 1 for confidence in God's calling as a teacher/pastor:

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations."

For those of you who are reading this post as teachers or pastors: take comfort in the calling and sovereignty of God! What a wonderful God we serve... may God encourage you and build you up in His grace and joy!

No comments: